Testing Dapper Flight CD 4

Loïc Martin lomartin3 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 01:53:22 GMT 2006

Hi,

I'm trying to test Dapper Flight CD 4 (mainly to test Chinese input
methods in Dapper) but have a few questions. I'm sorry if it isn't the
right list, but I don't see any dapper special list and ubuntu-users
isn't for development discussions.

1 Language support :
According to
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2006-February/000050.html

>  * As yet, there is no language, location, or keymap configuration
>    support. Obviously these are high on the list of things to sort out.
>
>  * It doesn't deal with installing language packs.

does this mean that there's no point in testing input methods and
Chinese support  in Dapper yet? If so is it planned for Flight 5?

2 Bug report :
I'm ready to fill bug reports for dapper but as for now only 8 bugs are
listed on https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/dapper/+bugs which leads
me to think I've hit the wrong place... and
https://launchpad.net/malone/ doesn't allow setting the version of
Ubuntu used.
Also, I don't have a clue about which package I should choose for bugs
that appears during the installation, and would be grateful for any hint
about these.
Mainly :
2.1 pressing F2 after the CD start and choosing French freezes the
installer (only F1 works but nothing else). Others languages works even
though most don't change anything on the first screen.
2.2 network configuration doesn't work here for an adsl connection that
requires a password (Ethernet modem). DHCP fails and manual
configuration ask for an IP address (which I don't have since mine is
dynamically  attributed).  Never is my password asked, not even my login
for the provider.
2.3 Chinese (simplified) install never asks for a password, nor does a
French install. After install and reboot, I'm stuck at login screen,
since I don't have any password (not even an user yet, I think :)

Other than that, both Chinese and French localisation for the installer
are really good. Only Chinese installer doesn't provide an input method,
and everything has to be typed using English, but that's quite ok at
that stage thanks to the small amount of information required at that
stage (except for setting the name of the user & his login, the rest
only deals with information that's only in Latin characters).

I'd also be really grateful if anyone could point me how to solve 2.3 so
I can continue testing :)

Thanks,
Loïc