Windows FOSS on the Live CD -- the OOo2 question

Matthew Kuiken matt.kuiken at verizon.net
Fri Feb 24 04:28:03 GMT 2006

Henrik Nilsen Omma wrote:

> I'd like to poll people's views on the content of the Windows FOSS on
> the Live CD. In the past we have adjusted the Win-FOSS to fit the
> available space quite close to the end of the process, but it might be
> worth taking a longer view now.
<snip>
> Thoughs?
>
> - Henrik

Just thought I'd add the experience of a BDU who is slowly waking up...

When I first started trying to change to Linux 4 months ago, I tried OOo while
using Ubuntu 5.10.  I edited the files I got from work, and everything went
quite well.  I had copies of both the Live CD and the install CD.

I did not realize that there was *any* content for Windows on the Live CD.
Instead, due to my experiences while using OOo under Ubuntu, I did a web search
and downloaded the windows version.  (Sorry, I won't be getting rid of windows
for a while yet...)  It wasn't until a couple months later when I accidentally
left the CD in the drive after a windows boot that I noticed that it had windows
content...

All that said, the size of OOo makes me think that it would be better served
being on a disk that specifically serves windows users.  My two most used
windows apps are Firefox and Thunderbird.  I use OOo ocasionally, but usually
associated with work stuff that I'm bringing home because I don't want to be at
the office any more.

FWIW, my vote would be for Firefox and Thunderbird, anything else is just icing
in my opinion.  I don't use IM, so GAIM doesn't do much for me.  GIMP sounds
interesting, but only as something to play with for a day or two, as I really
don't do a whole lot of photo editing.

--
Matt Kuiken

Check out my LTT page at: