NexentaOS (elatte) Alpha 3 released

Erast Benson erast at gnusolaris.org
Thu Feb 23 19:09:04 GMT 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 07:27 -0500, John Richard Moser wrote:
> > I'm seeing exactly opposite picture on my comparison HW (2-way amd64).
> > It boots noticeably faster than Ubuntu/Breezy mostly because system
> > services are SMF-backed and allows parallel execution. GUI applications
> > starts much faster and system seems more responsive due to kernel's
> > built-in real-time scheduler.
> >

> Oh it boots faster, yeah.  The more responsive thing, I'm not seeing; I
> launch a program and it goes *groan* :(

Your observation is really depends on an application. At the alpha stage
we know for sure that some applications/environments requires at least
recompilation since bunch of OpenSolaris-specific optimizations wasn't
enabled at all. We've fixed that bug in Alpha3 but number of major
software needs to be recompiled. For instance, GNOME is noticeably
slower than on Solaris Express and Ubuntu/Breezy. This is a alpha bug
with the GNOME packages itself. But NexentaOS's OpenOffice2 is
noticeably faster than Ubuntu/Breezy compilation. I even noticed that in
VMware session it starts faster than on native Ubuntu host. KDE is also
requires some amount of work, though I noticed that Qt's widget drawing
engine works much faster than in GNOME. This is something we will fix in
the upcoming Beta1 release, so new packages will appear in
elatte-unstable repository soon.

Also, with HackZoneNotify interface and new AutoBuilder network
available with Alpha3 release, we are trying to simplify developer's
contribution to the project. Read about how to start contribution here:
http://www.gnusolaris.org/gswiki/HackZone

--
Erast