Restricted Multimedia Formats - wikified

Dmitriy Kropivnitskiy nigde at mitechki.net
Thu Feb 23 17:16:43 GMT 2006

I think there is a problem with dialog texts proposed at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RestrictedFormatsAssistant. Imagine a first time
user (switching from Windows) reading this dialog (imagine that the user
didn't just click something to get rid of an annoying window, but
actually spent some time to read it). The first thing that would pop
into his/her mind would be "But under Windows all these things just
work! Why would it be illegal under Linux to play DVD and MP3? Maybe
Microsoft is right and Linux IS an operating system for pirates?" et
cetera, et cetera. Maybe since such an assistant is already forcing the
user to read some text, we should come up with a good, concise
explanation of why these things are illegal specifically under Linux.