Networking messed up in Dapper

Tristan Wibberley maihem at maihem.org
Wed Feb 22 20:04:25 GMT 2006

Hi,

Before I report a bug I want to ensure this is not just due to old
configuration from when this was a Breezy machine - I've asked on
ubuntu-users, but there is no answer and I don't want to report a
"NOTABUG". A couple of days ago aptitude found a new version of
network-manager, immediately after the upgrade, it had changed my IP
address. Since then, upon booting, my IP address is no longer the one
configured in /etc/network/interfaces, but is some strange
169.foo.bar.baz address. Sometimes after I change the IP address to what
it should be via ifconfig, it gets changed back again - even though it
is configured with a static address. There seems to be a dhclient3
running erroneously - if I kill it, my IP address lasts longer.

Is this a bug, or just a configuration error?

--
Tristan Wibberley