Totem any time soon?

Bonilla, Alejandro alejandro.bonilla at hp.com
Tue Feb 21 17:17:42 GMT 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 10:22 -0600, Travis Watkins wrote:
> On 2/20/06, Alejandro Bonilla <abonilla at linuxwireless.org> wrote:
> >         Somebody, PLEASE replace that thing with gxine or something!
>
> So you want a crippled gxine in main (that only plays theora and
> vorbis) instead of totem?

Excuse my ignorance in the subject. Yes. It might be that plain
restricted totem is better against restricted gxine. But once you
install win32codecs, and the correct stuff universe or so, you get a
much more decent application that does't crash. If I try to open a wmv
or avi, is most likely for it to not be played with totem, and then
sometimes it just gives the visualization instead of the video which is
something Win Media Player does. I _know_ it shows it lacks of a codec,
but then I try opening it with mplayer or gxine and then it works.

So, do we talk about things being more useful and painless or what?

Install a clean Ubuntu, now add gxine.

Start playing videos, which one will play most of them? totem? gxine?

Thanks,

--
Alejandro Bonilla