LTSP install woes

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Tue Feb 21 11:47:19 GMT 2006

hi,
Am Donnerstag, den 19.01.2006, 11:20 -0800 schrieb Joseph Toman:
> (which seems to have some errors,
> like the root-path  DHCPD option doesn't specify the server, which NFS
> doesn't seem to like)
> ,  I get to the moment  of truth, rebooting
> the client,  and I get a kernel panic. Specifically, PXE does it's
> thing, the system starts  to boot,  the root  file system gets mounted,
> and then I get "pivot_root: pivot_root no such file or directory", a
> complaint about devfs and not
> finding /sbin/init, and then it hangs.
that might rather be
https://launchpad.net/malone/bugs/19196
the root-path option works fine this way if you run the dhcp server
locally (the only case where you get the mentioned dchpd.conf installed)

> Okay, somewhat ambiguous, but any
> thoughts? I've checked and rechecked all the .conf files, export, made
> sure the proper servers were running, etc. . I did originally start this
> project with a standard LTSP 4.1, which I've done before, but decided
> that if I was using Ubuntu as the server
LTSP 4.1 and ubuntu ltsp are not compatible installable, remove all the
ltsp 4.1 stuff from the server that was created by ltspadmin to make
sure the services are not configured by two setups, that will not work.

> I should probably do it the
> Ubuntu way. I believe I backed out of that well before the ltsp-server
> install,  but there could be files that I missed.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

the ThinClientHowto once used to be:

(rm -rf /opt/ltsp/i386 and revert all doings to tftp, dhcp and nfs setup
that were there if you had an older installation around)

* sudo apt-get install openssh-server ltsp-server (or
ltsp-server-standalone if you want to run the dhcp server locally)
* sudo ltsp-build-client

* in case you run -standalone, edit the /etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf to match
your IP settings and restart dhcpd

* boot the client

thats it ... somehow people felt the need to put more detail in the wiki
page which somehow hides the simplicity of the whole :)

for tweaking, please only use the /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/lts.conf file,
https://wiki.edubuntu.org/EdubuntuLtsConfParams has a list of options
the breezy version knows.

feel free to drop by in #edubuntu on irc.frenonde.net if you have more
questions ...

ciao
	oli