Can I help? (Re: gnome 2.14?)

Daniel Holbach daniel.holbach at ubuntu.com
Tue Feb 21 08:02:24 GMT 2006

Hello Alejandro,

Am Montag, den 20.02.2006, 20:01 -0500 schrieb alejandro.bonilla at hp.com:
> >Very cool now. Is there anything that a not-yet-devel can do to help the
> Ubuntu community? Package stuff? Test uber-development packages?
>
> I could just go read the wiki on how to help, but maybe someone needs help
> here? ;-)

If you want to help get GNOME 2.14 nice and pretty in Ubuntu you should
join the Desktop Team. [1] and [2] are places, where you can get
information and get in touch with people.

[1] http://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam
[2] #ubuntu-desktop on irc.freenode.net

The biggest workload is bugs and bug triage. This is a task where
everybody can get easily involved. It's basically

      * getting information
      * checking with other bugs (like for duplicates)
      * contacting the upstream developers about bugs
      * and so on

We have basic guide lines on this on [3] and [4] and if you should like
the idea, I'd love to help you or answer your questions.

[3] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HelpingWithBugs
[4] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam/Bugs

Bug triage is a very good way to contribute, because you get in touch
with our users and get to understand their needs and see what they
expect of their desktop.

You (and everybody else) can start every day, we also sit in
#ubuntu-bugs on irc.freenode.net, but if you're comfortable to get
started with a bunch of other people, get involved on a BugDay.

Have a nice day,
 Daniel