Flight 4 Live-CD usage report

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Sun Feb 19 19:32:07 GMT 2006

On Sun, Feb 19, 2006 at 05:05:42PM +0100, Andreas Schildbach wrote:
> - immediately after selecting "Boot" in the graphical bootloader, some
> green garbage appears on screen (https://launchpad.net/malone/bugs/28769).
> - during bootup, the screen mode switches between text (about 5
> seconds), then graphical usplash (about 40 seconds), then text again
> (about 1 minute).

That last change is probably indicative of a bug; watch to see which service
was starting up at that time and why it took longer than expected.  It is a
safety feature of usplash that if the boot process does not go as expected,
it reverts to text mode.

> I think these are just too many mode switches. If it
> is not possible to avoid text mode at all during an all-successful boot
> process, there should not be any graphical display at all. Usplash would
> only look professional if it was the only thing you'd see.

There is no way to avoid the initial change from text to graphics; PC video
cards start in text mode and this is beyond the control of the operating
system.

> - Keyboard and Timezone were not set correctly. In prior Live-CD, I was
> asked about this during bootup. Is it intentional to skip these
> questions? I don't think it is a good idea, unless there is a good
> chance to auto-detect both settings correctly somehow. An incorrectly
> set keymap ruins the whole user experience, and searching for Gnome
> Keyboard Preferences will just be too much hassle for new users.

The graphical boot menu lets you adjust these.

--
 - mdz