Xgl breaks 'older' hardware (Re: Xgl in Dapper)

Reinhard Tartler siretart at tauware.de
Sat Feb 18 11:03:45 GMT 2006

Matthew Garrett wrote:
> 2) After installing xserver-xgl, replace /etc/X11/X with a symlink to
> /usr/bin/Xgl
> 3) Restart gdm

At least on my laptop, this broke my setup. I'm using a quite heavy
customized MergedFB setup, and it seems that Xgl doesn't work with
MergedFB. (I just filed Malone #31867, fyi).

Then I reverted to a 'simple' xorg.conf, without MergedFB. Xgl kinda
worked, but I got severe performance and visual problems. I assume my
hardware (Radeon 7500 Mobile) isn't fast enough to keep up with xgl.

I suggest keeping xgl optional in any case.

Greetings,
	Reinhard