Will Dapper support RLIMIT_RTPRIO?

Dana Olson dana at ubuntustudio.com
Thu Feb 16 20:24:41 GMT 2006

On 2/16/06, Fabio Massimo Di Nitto <fabbione at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Lee Revell wrote:
>
> > The kernel side problems are mostly solved,
>
> What problems are we talking about here? Last time i was asked to apply kernel
> patches for Realtime they were scary and extremely intrusive.

I am not sure what Lee is referring to... The -rt patch from Ingo
won't be in Dapper, which is totally understandable. I have talked
with Mark about it and he was going to contact some other people to
work on it and get back to me. But either way, I don't see it being in
Dapper.

> > Thanks for your help - I will try to gather the necessary patches to
> > bash, PAM, and glibc to properly support kernels >= 2.6.12 before the
> > freeze.
>
> Are we sure we do not need more kernel patches?

I don't know what you mean.. The -rt patch does give us an additional
45% of preemption, but aside from that, the default kernel in Dapper
does ok for casual musicians. It has CONFIG_PREEMPT=y, whereas
Breezy's did not.

The patch to libpam-modules simply allows us to configure it so that
we can have a group whose users can request realtime access. It is a
replacement for realtime-lsm or set_rlimits. It is one piece of the
puzzle. Using a distro with a patched PAM just happens to be the
easiest method for the end user, and is the way of the future. Any
kernel since 2.6.12 has the abilities to work with this PAM patch.

Yes, the -rt patch would be a great thing for musicians, but it is too
intrusive to be a part of Dapper's default kernel. I don't think it is
stable enough at this time.

Have the PAM/bash/glibc patches gone through in Ubuntu? Or has it been
abandoned?

Dana