Dapper installation notes/Stuff that needs fixing

John Nilsson john at milsson.nu
Wed Feb 15 17:28:01 GMT 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 12:54 -0300, Santiago Roza wrote:
> > I don't think this is actually true.
>
> well it is.  you can't just take other software's copyrighted dlls,
> redistribute them your own way, and expect that to be legal.
>
> we were talking about patented stuff, not w32codecs which are
> completely out of the question.

You know, there's a group in Sweden that might have a shot of actually
change this. With some luck this might be a precedent to the rest of the
world, ultimately affecting even USA.

At the risk of posting spam, (but I DO think it's on topic).

A political party (the Pirate Party) that has only three issues on the
agenda two of them being: abolish all patents and reform copyright law
to make not-for profit use of copyrighted material free and shorten
copyright protection time to something reasonable like five years while
also limiting what is protected.

https://www.piratpartiet.se/English.aspx ( the declaration of principles
is outdated and the new version, sadly, hasn't been updated to reflect
the changes yet, the big one being about allowing a limited and short
copyright.)

Right now any support for this initiative is very much welcome. The goal
is to convince 4% of the Swedish population that this is more important
than how big the income tax for the coming four years will be.

Please don't continue this post with a political discussion. Anyone who
whish to do so is very much welcome to the party forum
https://www.piratpartiet.se/forum/Forum78-1.aspx for further discussion.
(Critics of the party, from the software world, has been somewhat absent
from the discussion, so the declaration of principles might be lacking
in that area due to insufficient discussion.)

Please don't take this as spam. I really do believe that this is one
possible approach to the patent/copyright problem.

Regards,
John