Dapper installation notes/Stuff that needs fixing

Duncan Lithgow duncan at lithgow-schmidt.dk
Wed Feb 15 15:01:28 GMT 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 03:27 -0300, Santiago Roza wrote:
> there are no easy solutions, because the legal issue is tricky (and
> risky).  the ones i can think of are:
> - making a parallel non-us version of ubuntu, with all the patented stuff.
The advantage of this - with suitable notes next to the files - is that
it could be very awareness raising. There are lots of sites with
downloadable software with that bit about 'it is illegal for you to
install or use this software if you live in Cuba, Syria, Iran, Nth Korea
' etc.
> - including the patented stuff in ubuntu, but install it only if the
> user claims not to be in the us or any other country with software
> patents.
This must be the best option, what does the legal team say?
> - including a post-install wizard that downloads and installs all that
> stuff, if the user claims the same thing as before.
Of course here we're back to the issue of connection speed - so I'm not
a personal fan of this one.

Who else do we need to include in this discussion?

duncan