Dapper installation notes/Stuff that needs fixing

Aigars Mahinovs aigarius at debian.org
Wed Feb 15 09:16:35 GMT 2006

On 2/15/06, Santiago Roza <santiago.roza at thymbra.com> wrote:
> there are no easy solutions, because the legal issue is tricky (and
> risky).  the ones i can think of are:
> - including a post-install wizard that downloads and installs all that
> stuff, if the user claims the same thing as before.

This solution is as easy as it gets. And the message should rather be:
"Due to the cripled legal system of USA and Japan which allows
software patents, we have to ship Ubuntu that is crippled in its media
playing capabilities. If you do not live in these countries or have in
other way acquired rights to play media protected by software patents,
you can download media plugins from our site."
With a single button - "Uncripple media capabilities"

The dialog should not take more then a couple of days to do. After
that the legal responsibility is with the users and Ubuntu can not do
anything and doesn't have to do anything.

I suggest that this issue be considered release critical for Dapper.

--
Best regards,
    Aigars Mahinovs        mailto:aigarius at debian.org