Irrelevance of the debate: (was "Epiphany versus Firefox" etcad nauseam...

Michael T. Richter ttmrichter at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 04:28:59 GMT 2006

On Wed, 2006-15-02 at 15:01 +1100, James Livingston wrote:
> > > Firefox for me.  I really missed my ad-reduced browsing.  I really
> > > missed my popup-free browsing.  I really missed being able to whitelist
> > > Javascript and not worry about malicious sites using Javascript to screw
> > > me over.  I really missed, basically, all the features of Firefox that
> > > make it superior to Epiphany.

> Epiphany gained an ad-blocking extension in 1.9.something, so the
> version in Dapper has it. Tools->Extensions, check Ad Blocker.

I'm not using Dapper, so that's not helpful, is it?  ;-)

> It also has popup-blocking, although I can't remember when that was
> added (1.8?). It doesn't have the big "a popup was blocked" bar like
> Firefox does though.

I just noticed lots of popups that I wasn't able to figure out how to
block.  Perhaps the ability was there, but if so, it was clearly not
very well-advertised -- meaning that HIG compliance isn't so great after
all.

> This brings up another great thing about this debate, the two sides
> usually haven't used recent versions of the other program heavily. A lot
> of pro-Firefox people haven't used Ephy 1.9.x much, and a lot of
> pro-Epiphany people (like me) haven't spent a huge amount of time using
> Firefox 1.5.

I'm not even using Firefox 1.5 and I think it's better than Epiphany.  I
think it's 1.07 I'm using.

--
Michael T. Richter
Email: ttmrichter at gmail.com, mtr1966 at hotpop.com
MSN: ttmrichter at hotmail.com, mtr1966 at hotmail.com; YIM:
michael_richter_1966; AIM: YanJiahua1966; ICQ: 241960658; Jabber:
mtr1966 at jabber.cn