Should we take out the CJK configuring in /etc/fonts/fonts.conf

Jun Kobayashi fm4j-kbys at asahi-net.or.jp
Mon Feb 13 16:54:04 GMT 2006

Hi,

freeflying wrote:
> 在 星期一 13 二月 2006 17:41,Huang Jiahua 写道:
>
>>It seems the CJK fonts haven't been configured suitablly.
>>Should  we  take out the  CJK configuring  in  /etc/fonts/fonts.conf ,
>>and use the  language-pack (  such as  language-pack-zh )  to
>>configure the CJK fonts .
>>If we have changes  they, the CJK fonts will be configured suitablly,
>>the defalut display of CJK font's will be perfect,
>>and it will not  affect other language users.
>>

> I think this is good idea for CJK users .
> We have have tried for an well display in our native language ,but
> unfortunately ,it will affect other languages. and also bug have beeng filed
> to launchpad ;
> https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/fontconfig/+bug/31208/
> https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/fontconfig/+bug/29185
> each changes affected  other language users . I also hope that configure
> relate with CJK fonts in /etc/fonts.conf can be taken out , and put them into
> conf.d, then use language-pack-base-* configure for each languages . In this
> way , we can make it easy for CJK users to have a well looking in their
> native language , those who will not use CJK language users will not be
> affectted .

As in the case a Ubuntu system is shared by users who
uses various languages, does above solution work well?
(e.g. the case English, Spanish, Greek and CJK users share
one Ubuntu system.)
I think this is likely case at colleges.

Since language-pack-base-* packages don't conflicts each other,
we install langage-pack-base-* packages for various langages
to built multi-language Ubuntu system.

So, ideally, we should write config files for fontconfig
not affecting other language users, I think.

I don't know whether this is possible...does anyone know?

Regards,
Jun Kobayashi