Restoring the Help Icon in gnome-panel

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Mon Feb 13 13:12:46 GMT 2006

Hi all,

Recently, many users have been calling for a program which starts up at
first login and introduces users to the basics about using and
configuring Ubuntu. I'm convinced that the onboard documentation will do
this job sufficiently well for dapper, the Desktop Guide in particular
has had lots of work and will be accessible enough for users to see
quickly where to find the right answers. In my personal opinion Dapper
is the first release where I can say that the onboard documentation will
do a good job.

However, one of the big problems for us as the documentation team is
that the onboard help is not used nearly enough, this leads to people
spending more time looking for help, and hitting the forums/irc/mailing
lists with questions which are answered in the documentation.

I'd like to suggest an easy way to resolve this problem: restore the
help icon on the gnome-panel. This will make the onboard documentation
easily accessible for new users. I would earnestly urge you to
reconsider the decision that was taken to remove this icon! Users need
to know the documentation is there, and those that don't can remove the
icon with two clicks.

thanks, Matt
mdke at ubuntu.com
gnupg pub 1024D/0E6B06FF