LiveCD report for 10-Feb-2006

Chip Piller piller at visi.net
Fri Feb 10 17:31:51 GMT 2006

I tested the dapper-live-i386.iso released 10-Feb-2006 07:47.

1) While booting the desktop I got a blue screen for several seconds and then
the normal brown ubuntu background.

2) My desktop was shifted slightly to the right on my monitor, I could not see
the trash can icon in the lower right corner or the logout icon in the top right
corner.  I used preferences -> screen resolution and picked a different
resolution/refresh rate and this made the screen display perfectly.  I have had
this problem with breezy and dapper on several different pc's.

3) update-notifier process cpu utilization is very high.  This problem has been
around for awhile.  I did a killall update-notifier and the problem went away.

4) update-notifier: I filed a bug about this (31051), I don't think that
update-notifier should be included on the liveCD because:
   a) it uses space on the CD
   b) it uses cpu cycles when running
   c) it uses up RAM
   d) updating package does not make sense because the liveCD runs in RAM

Advanced LiveCD users can update/install packages using apt/synaptic.

5) Network (ethernet connection) was not detected or configured automatically as
in the past.  The networking tool gui showed an entry for a modem ppp0, there
was nothing for ethernet eth0.

--Chip