umount usbkey

adel durnet at menara.ma
Fri Feb 10 00:11:24 GMT 2006

hey,

two days ago I got Sony usb-key, the problem that when I copy something
into usbkey, it doesn't really get saved!!! whatever I do... my data
always get lost.

the guy from the shop said something... that I have to "safety"
disconnect it by windows xp before I unplug the key, which really work.

I don't have windows (well, I installed windows under vmware), on ubuntu
by "safety" disconnect (I didn't understand it technically) can be mean
"Umount Volume" but it doesn't work too.

so I went to #gnome and I asked how to unplug usbkey in "safe" way...
yadda yadda yadda... bla bla bla... "pbor: sync" so I did "sync && sudo
umount /media/usbkey" yay... now my data all got saved.

I had to ask in #gnome cause I didn't want to bother you at
#ubuntu-devel and from my experience #ubuntu rarely help on such as
issues, now... is there any way to make "Umount Volume" action sync
before it umount the usbkey? (think about mom)

thank you.