OT: Stickers

Andrew Jorgensen andrew.jorgensen at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 15:51:25 GMT 2006

No idea where this suggestion should go but there are a few things I'd
love to see in the Ubuntu Shop <http://www.cafepress.com/ubuntushop>:

* Replacement "powered by / designed for" stickers.  You know those
little foil decals the OEMs put on your box that say "Designed for
Windows XP"?  Last year at BrainShare[1] Novell gave out little NLD
decals to replace your XP decals.  They were very popular and it was
such a kick to remove the old decal and replace it with a Linux one.

* Window stickers.  The transparent kind that aren't sticky but just
adhere to the glass with static.

* CDs.  Yeah, we can get them for free from shipit, but then we have
to wait our turn.  Why not also sell them at cost + shipping to those
who want them now?  Heck, why not sell them at a modest profit even?

* Printed manual.  Even if it's just the Quick Start Guide.  One of my
friends wanted to try Linux so rather than download it or borrow a CD
he went out and bought a book that came with a CD of MEPIS.  This
reminded me that I started out with SuSE partly because it came with a
decent manual.  We try very hard to make Ubuntu not need a manual, but
there are a lot of people out there who prefer to have one anyway (if
for nothing more than to see all the cool stuff you can do with the
software).  Even MacOS at least has a little booklet and O'Reilly is
making money picking up[3] where Apple left off.  The manual could
come with a set of CDs, that might be more effective than a box with
CDs and a manual since manuals that come in the box are notorious for
being an afterthought.

- Andrew Jorgensen

[1] http://www.novell.com/brainshare/
[2] http://www.novell.com/products/desktop/decalkit.html