Suspend2 isn't invasive.

Matt Price matt.price at utoronto.ca
Fri Dec 22 19:01:08 GMT 2006

On Fri, 2006-22-12 at 08:31 +1100, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
> Hi Trent.
>
> On Thu, 2006-12-21 at 20:18 +0900, Trent Lloyd wrote:

> > > so, I was able to build suspend2 kernels using nigel's
> > > ubuntu-2.6-suspend2 git tree (currently offline till git.kernel.org is
> > > less overloaded.  If linux-restricted-modules were available somewwhere
> > > for svn (or whatever) access, then I suppose I could also try to build
> > > l-r-m packages (this could happen after xmas I guess).
> >
> > AIUI, last time I checked, you can't simply compile suspend2 as a "module"
> > as it touches a couple small spots in the kernel (correct me if I'm wrong?)
>
> Yeah, there's no build-as-a-module option for Suspend2 at the moment. I
> assume Matt is aiming instead to build the normal kernel and associated
> paraphenalia, except having it Suspend2 enabled as well.

yes, nigel's right.  I want to make it easy for people to switch to
suspend2 if they want to; this means at minimum having a git branch for
ubuntu that is patched with suspend2 and enables the suspend2 options by
default, and providing a linux-restricted-modules-src package that will
work with self-compiled kernels without too much trouble. the l-r-m bit
is the most important, and as l-r-m 2.6.20 source is now available it
shouldn't be so hard to work that up.

matt

--
Matt Price