howto add a new vcs to /dev/

Paul Sladen ubuntu at paul.sladen.org
Mon Dec 11 07:11:07 GMT 2006

On Wed, 6 Dec 2006, jacky wrote:
> When ubuntu alternate CD boot up, it create only 4 vcs
> device in /dev. I wanto to add a new vcs device,

'/dev/vcsNN' are the respresentations of Virtual Consoles (as accessed with
Alt-F1 and above).  Virtual consoles take memory to run, so at boot time
only a certain number are started up with the 'getty' program allowing users
to log in.

You can start additional programs on a new VC with the 'openvt' utility and
once the new VC is running, you will see a new device node appear in
'/dev/' for that latest VC.

Hope that helps, does that solve your issue?

	-Paul
--
Why do one side of a triangle when you can do all three.   Lincoln, GB