bug 58002

Rocco Stanzione grasshopper at linuxkungfu.org
Tue Aug 29 22:45:44 BST 2006

I created a launchpad bug:
https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/vim/+bug/58002
that has turned rather unpleasant and unconstructive imo.  I was asked to
start a discussion here.

I have questions for this specific bug and for bugs in general.  For this bug,
is there an appropriate solution at all?  My recommendation (hadn't thought
of it by the time I decided to wash my hands of the launchpad bug) is to put
an empty /etc/skel/.viminfo into the vim package, which would fix this and
have no other consequences that I can think of.  Modifying sudoers to always
set home was also suggested, but I think that would have some unintended
consequences.  I figure the answer to that will determine which package, if
any, this bug should be filed against.

In general, what can we do to prevent this kind of thing?  I'm hard pressed to
go what I see as a troublesome bug because somebody says vim's behaving
correctly, therefore it's not a bug.  Dennis was hard-pressed to let go what
he believed was an invalid bug report.  When in doubt, do what?  When there's
apparently a problem where the bug isn't in the package that feels the
symptoms, where to file the bug until the solution is decided on?

Thanks,

Rocco