Bug Subscription Use Cases

Brad Bollenbach brad.bollenbach at pobox.com
Wed Aug 23 22:37:04 BST 2006

Hey all,

While working on fixing the "Also notified" subscription bug:

    https://launchpad.net/bugs/48860

I've been thinking more deeply about the faults in our current
subscription UI. I wanted to check some of our assumptions:

1. Do you guys ever need to subscribe teams to bugs, specifically a team
that isn't otherwise assigned to the bug, and that isn't a bug contact
on the affected software? If so, can you give examples of when this is
useful?

2. Do you ever have a compelling urge to unsubscribe from a bug on which
you are a bug contact or assignee?

3. Going in a different direction, would it be useful to be able to
subscribe or unsubscribe /anyone/ from a bug, or would that likely do
more harm than good? (Consider, for example, that private bugs are
visible only to subscribers.)

4. If bug A is a dupe of bug B, and you were subscribed to A, you'll get
subscribed to bug B "indirectly", automatically (happens already). Is
there ever a reason that you'd want to unsubscribe from B, but remain
subscribed to the dupe, A?

Cheers,

Brad