Submission ... live cd should let you install without reformatting as an option.

Ian Soutar soutar at uvic.ca
Wed Aug 23 21:13:57 BST 2006

I have been using kubuntu for about a half year. I re-install new
versions of any linux distro by the following method ...

1/ Use a live CD to erase the previous operating system but leave the
home directory.
2/ Rename the home directory to /home_old
3/ Install the new live cd without reformatting the drive.

Unfortunately the newest kbuntu 6.06.1 has made that impossible. It
insists on formatting my drive. Like many other people I prefer to not
have a separate home directory and using the live cd to erase an
operating system leaving home alone is a great way to do it. I switched
from three versions of knoppix, three versions of kanotix and then
kubuntu, all without destroying my home directory.

But now to install kubuntu 6.06.1 I have to format it!

I consider this a bug and it forces me to only use 6.06. This ability to
not format the drive and to simply erase the operating system is what
make the live cd so great.

Can we drop back to the install system of 6.06???

I know people will say that you should have a separate home partition
but on a laptop you don't know in advance how big the operating system
will be. Therefore it is much more efficient on a laptop to keep /home
on the main partition along with /etc and /boot and everything else.

I would highly recommend not forcing a format!!

Thanks,
Ian Soutar, Victoria BC Canada.