Speeding up live cd boot through optimizing file layout

Jun Kobayashi fm4j-kbys at asahi-net.or.jp
Wed Aug 23 14:35:49 BST 2006

Hello,

Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> * Jun Kobayashi
>
> | I have tryed to create optimized Dapper Desktop CD ISO which supports
> | readahead and some other improvements to shorten boot time.
>
> readahead is explicitly disabled on the Dapper desktop CDs due to it
> interacting badly with squashfs and unionfs.  JFYI.

I had created the file list for readahead to read from under /rofs
as below:
/rofs/etc/environment
/rofs/usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED
/rofs/etc/inittab

According to bootcharts, this works fine with my PC.

with readahead:
http://www.ubuntulinux.jp/Members/jkbys/optimized_with_readahead.png

without readahead:
http://www.ubuntulinux.jp/Members/jkbys/optimized_without_readahead.png

I have created my desktop iso image based on 6.06.1 and updated
my page(http://www.ubuntulinux.jp/Members/jkbys/Ubuntu6.06DesktopCDReadahead).

This image supports non-utc timezone and hwclock with command line options.
I think this is useful for users lives in non-utc areas.

Best regards,
Jun Kobayashi