Optimized kernel builds: the straight dope

John Richard Moser nigelenki at comcast.net
Mon Aug 21 04:53:27 BST 2006

Jamie Jones wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-08-14 at 17:33 -0700, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
>
>> Having read over it, I think the numbers are fairly compelling.  The
>> difference in performance between -386 and -686 is insigificant; the
>> measurements are all within a reasonable error range, and within that range,
>> -686 was slower as often as it was faster.
>>
>> My recommendation is that we phase out these additional kernel builds, which
>> I expect will save us a great deal of developer time, buildd time, archive
>> storage and bandwidth.
>>
>> I'm interested to hear (objective, reasoned) feedback on this data and my
>> conclusions from the members of this list.
>
> Do we have a monkeys guide to reproducing this benchmark. I'd like to
> see the effects it has on Amd boxes, and other Intel boxes. If you have
> a monkeys guild (rather step by step and ideally with the exact same
> config used by Ben), I can add some K7, and K8 datapoints (dapper boxes
> though)

The K8 we don't care about.  We don't use 32-bit K8 kernels on 32-bit
userland; and 64-bit K8 kernels will break a 32-bit K8 userland due to a
handful of nasty bugs (no way to run real-mode 16-bit code for Xorg to
call the video card's embedded ROM; USB printing is broken; etc)

> Regards,
> Yagisan

- --

    new problems waiting out there.
                                                 -- Eric Steven Raymond

    We will enslave their women, eat their children and rape their
    cattle!
                  -- Bosc, Evil alien overlord from the fifth dimension