xorg 7.1

Aigars Mahinovs aigarius at debian.org
Sun Aug 20 00:01:58 BST 2006

On 8/19/06, Travis Watkins <alleykat at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/19/06, Xavier Dectot <xavier.dectot at free.fr> wrote:
> > I know it's hard to postpone the adoption of free
> > software because of a proprietary driver problem, but can we really
> > leave the nvidia users without 3D acceleration ?
>
> We cannot allow non-free software to hold back the adoption of new
> technology. Xorg 7.1 has many improvements and fixes for other users,
> we shouldn't punish them because nVidia is too lazy to recompile their
> driver.

The update is not quite that simple, but I think that if Edgy goes
forward with 7.1 and no suitable NVidia driver is provided by October,
then it is still easier to provide and update of NVidia driver after
the release of Edgy than to provide an update of X.

--
Best regards,
    Aigars Mahinovs        mailto:aigarius at debian.org
 |     .''`.         Debian GNU/Linux              LAKA         |
 |    : :' :      http://www.debian.org  &  http://www.laka.lv  |