cpufreq governor vs. powernowd

Scott Dier dieman at ringworld.org
Fri Aug 18 19:10:46 BST 2006

Aigars Mahinovs wrote:
> On 8/18/06, Dmitriy Kropivnitskiy <nigde at mitechki.net> wrote:
>> 1. Remove powernowd from the default install or change the startup
>> script not to start it by default.
>
> It acctually would be nicer to have powernowd doing its magic when the
> laptop is on battery (it does increase the battery life quite
> significantly), but make it switch to "performance" governor when a
> notebook is on the power adapter and for desktops.

I can see two reasons against this:

a) power consumption
	We'd love to say that we save the world oodles of power by not being at
100% all the time, even on desktops -- it makes us feel more green.
b) heat
	Many laptops have loud fans that kick in 100% of the time if the cpu is
not toned down to the lowest level most of the time.

--
Scott Dier <dieman at ringworld.org>