Midnight Commander in rescue and "live" mode

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Thu Aug 17 16:36:00 BST 2006

Hi,

Mgr. Peter Tuharsky [2006-08-17 14:49 +0200]:
> 	I'd like to ask for presence of mc in rescue mode of Ubuntu. It is very
> helpful when solving problems, and it's the application that I use the
> most when I run Knoppix.

mc has a nontrivial security history [1], thus this would require some
attention. You should write a main inclusion report [2] and do some QA
to the package.

Getting it into main is one point, but getting it onto the CDs is much
harder since they are notoriously overflowing already. Also, for
availability in rescue mode all of its libraries and mc itself would
need to go from /usr to /, which again bloats the root partition size.

So, in summary, chances are not bright.

Martin

[1] http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvekey.cgi?keyword=midnight%20commander
[2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuMainInclusionRequirements

--
Martin Pitt        http://www.piware.de

In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?