Call for hacking help, oppurtunity to get involved.

Sivan Green sivan at ubuntu.com
Thu Aug 17 10:14:06 BST 2006

Hi all,

  Due to unexpected personal reasons I have been unable to achieve real
progress on the two edgy goals I planned to deliver for edgy. The
specifications are:

  1) https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SystemCleanUpTool
  2) https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HomeUserBackup

Realizing the short time left for me to try and complete the two, I'd
need someone to take on (1) , and of course I wouldn't object any help
on (2).

So, if you have been using Ubuntu so far, and felt you want to dive into
some interesting, UI and system development, now is the time!

For (1) , we need to firstly concentrate on implementing the high
priority use case - cleaning up left over un used kernels. The rest of
the mentioned features can be implemented for edgy+1.

For those who are interested, feel free to email me or ping me on IRC
for any guidance or help I might be able to provide. If you're not
familiar on packaging, I can do the packaging for you - make sure you
use python dist utils manage your source distribution.

As of (2), I'm already working to try and make it to edgy with the set
of goals defined on the Paris revised specification. Any help would be
welcome, specifically, providing some code to detect the amount of free
space on a multisession CD/RW media (there is some funky C code that
does that in nautilus-cd-burner, we need to either implement that in
Python or create bindings), help in testing and exception handling
hacking, creating proper desktop notifications, and hacking in the mime
support to make the backup process smoother and cleaner.

For any clarifications  for any of the specs, feel free to contact me.

Happy hacking!

Sivan