Please test AutoUnmountNotifications implementation

Samuel Cormier-Iijima sciyoshi at gmail.com
Sat Aug 5 18:10:47 BST 2006

On 8/5/06, Sam Morris <sam at robots.org.uk> wrote:
> On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 13:54:22 +0100, Vassilis Pandis wrote:
> > I have submitted a spec abount mounting removable devices 'sync'.
>
> You say that Windows users will not notice a reduction in speed. This is
> not true. Windows flushes write operations to the disk when a file is
> closed, thus one gets the performance benefit from the disk being cached
> without having to worry about uncommitted data hanging around when the
> disk is removed.
>
> WRT the comments about 'sync' not working on Linux's VFAT filesystem: it
> used to do nothing, then it was fixed; then users started complaining
> about the new kernel's crap performance. I seem to remember that as a
> result a new option was implemented (flush?) which made the kernel act
> like Windows does, above... maybe this would be suitable (if it indeed
> exists and I'm not just mis-remembering).

Also, if this isn't possible, could we at least make it a lot easier
to unmount, so that people don't lose their data when just pulling the
stick out? Currently, you have to go to Nautilus' computer:///, right
click and unmount. Right clicking on the mounted drive in the
left-hand "places" doesn't work (i think a bug has been filed for
quite a while now). Maybe a status icon in the notification area, with
a popup window the first time a user puts in a removable drive, saying
"Before you take out the drive, make sure you click here to
unmount...", or something along those lines...

Cheers, Samuel