Synchronous Mounting (forked from Re: Please test AutoUnmountNotifications implementation )

Vassilis Pandis pandisv at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Aug 5 14:38:37 BST 2006

--- Sam Morris <sam at robots.org.uk> wrote:

> You say that Windows users will not notice a reduction in speed. This is
> not true. Windows flushes write operations to the disk when a file is
> closed, thus one gets the performance benefit from the disk being cached
> without having to worry about uncommitted data hanging around when the
> disk is removed.

Yes, of course. When I wrote that I was under the impression that Windows
writes things synchronously (I haven't used Windows in many years and I wasn't
aware of the "safely remove devices" thing).I'll update the wiki to reflect this.

> WRT the comments about 'sync' not working on Linux's VFAT filesystem: it
> used to do nothing, then it was fixed; then users started complaining
> about the new kernel's crap performance. I seem to remember that as a
> result a new option was implemented (flush?) which made the kernel act
> like Windows does, above... aybe this would be suitable (if it indeed
> exists and I'm not just mis-remembering).

Sounds great to me, although as stated previously, I'm not qualified to judge it.