Moderated dev list?

Micah J. Cowan micah at cowan.name
Fri Aug 4 20:07:30 BST 2006

On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 10:30:57AM -0500, Michael V. De Palatis wrote:
> Not only is this entire thread completely off topic, but it has
> descended into an all out flamewar. Please, continue this discussion
> elsewhere.

(This was in response a message in the Freedom/most-offensive-thing
thread).

Once again, I'd like to know how feasible it might be to make
ubuntu-devel a moderated list. There seems to be a very high
noise-to-signal ratio here, where the majority of posts seem to belong
more to sounder or ubuntu than to ubuntu-devel.

I think part of this is due to some amount of difficulty in new
participants in ascertaining /exactly/ what the purpose of ubuntu-devel
is: I suspect that many find this list, like me, through
http://www.ubuntu.com/community/participate ... which is a great place
for a link to ubuntu-devel, but there is nowhere on that page or on the
link that gives a good description of ubuntu-devel, and thus I think
it's very reasonable for folks to suppose that sounder-type issues
(especially for those unaware of sounder's existence) belong here.

There also seems to be frequent support requests... I don't think most
people writing those believe it's topical here, but they post it because
they expect the lurkers here to be more knowledgeable than the average
person in the support groups. That is a poor reasonm, IMO.

I haven't noticed similar problems for the other groups (I currently
lurk for -motu and -art, but not the support list)...

--
Micah J. Cowan
http://micah.cowan.name/