Mono required by ubuntu-desktop

Daniel Robitaille robitaille at ubuntu.com
Wed Aug 2 04:20:54 BST 2006

On 8/1/06, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:

> http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/index.php?p=105 mentions that
> Ubuntu 06.06's live CD won't even boot on a 64 MB system.
> The spec should probably address the live CD case as well as the installed case.

The 6.06 Live CD seem to need ~256mb just to exist before you start
running any applications..    Recently I had to repartition my 256mb
laptop.  I decided to use gparted on the Dapper Live CD. Booted up
with it.  Things are normal.  Then turned off the swap partition.
Still fine.  Started gparted:  froze the system.

If I didn't turn off the swap partition (it's a one-harddrive only
laptop), gparted was complaining since I was trying to do work on an
active hard drive (due to the swap partition).  So it seems Dapper
needs something near 256mb of ram to start, then more once you start running
some apps.

My solution turned out to boot using a Breezy Live CD, since it seemed
Breezy + gparted worked normally in 256mb of ram with no swap
partition.  One more reason to keep my pre-Dapper Ubuntu Live CDs
around the house :)

--
Daniel Robitaille