Mono required by ubuntu-desktop

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Wed Aug 2 00:13:08 BST 2006

On Tue, 1 Aug 2006 15:44:45 -0700
"Micah J. Cowan" <micah at cowan.name> wrote:

> 1) Edgy is specifically supposed to be a "bells-and-whistles" release.
> If you want better stability, more "serious" distro, you should be
> sticking with Dapper.

That would be reasonable, sure - but not what I was acting as Devil's
Advocate about :)

> 2) The audience you are describing as being lucky to have 128MB or RAM
> on old Pentiums should really be using Xubuntu, not Ubuntu. It's really
> the wrong market...

Ah, but here you need to make an imaginative leap - suppose for example
that you have a dialup connection with a maximum of 28 or so kilobits/sec.
Where are you going to get your Xubuntu CD from if you live, say, in
rural India, or even in out of the way places in Australia ? There have
already been people on IRC and the users list with problems installing a
shipit CD on such machines ( even Dapper requires at least 192-256 MB for
the graphical installer)

[snip]
> And, as other people have pointed out, f-spot, etc, will not consume any
> RAM whatsoever, until you decide to fire it up. If, against good reason,
> you are using Ubuntu instead of Xubuntu on a 128MB-RAM-system, you would
> still have to explicitly decide to fire the thing up in order for it to
> trouble your memory.

As I tried to point out, "good reason" is not the issue I'm talking about.
More like " accessibility".

>Disk-space is another issue, perhaps, but I'd still
> submit that Ubuntu (and, especially, Edgy) would be the wrong choice.

It appears that is the case already, as I have pointed out in another post.
You and I have nice machines, and bandwidth to download ISO s - the people
on whose behalf I am speaking  do not.

I just think it is good practice to try and keep resource use to a minimum
so as to allow the greatest number to have access to Ubuntu. I personally
think it would be a great idea to make Xubuntu an option on shipit...

Peter