Mono required by ubuntu-desktop

John Richard Moser nigelenki at comcast.net
Tue Aug 1 05:00:57 BST 2006

Jamie McCracken wrote:
[...]

> Some mono apps are more bloated than others so yeah you cant make
> sweeping general statements on it. I accept tomboy is leaner than most
> other mono apps but on the other hand I find fspot to be one of the
> worst offenders.
>
> I suggest you import 50-60 pics or so then check memory. Last time I
> checked resident memory of fspot was around 98MB (with approx 10mb shared)
>
> Can others come up with hard figures too so we have a balanced view?

It'd be interesting to get Mono's compiler tools to spit out CIL
instructions; and then throw the same program at Mono and Native and see
what happens.  Benchmarks would be neat, so would real-world programs
and rabidly re-running 'true' 500 times in a row to test application
start-up time.

Yes, CIL is robust enough to run C with all the bells and whistles.

[...]

>> Oh, and lets keep this on topic of gthumb, fspot and other mono apps.
>> Lets no wander off into OOo and abiword, etc or even what to ship by
>> default beyond this specific issues. There are good reasons to talk
>> about those, just not in this thread.
>
> I agree but memory efficiency is an important issue especially on
> notebooks and older machines (and it aint just mono thats a problem here
> as others have pointed out). I just hope sensible defaults will be
> applied in the *desktop* whichever way it goes.

OLD DAYS:

32MB of RAM.

 - Windows 95
   - Explorer, kernel, GDI backend, let's guess 10M of RAM
 - 4 applications running
   - Each app uses 16MB RAM
 - 74MB RAM used, 42MB + some slack swapped

NEW DAYS:

512MB of RAM

 - Windows XP
   - Explorer, Kernel, GDI backend.  About 320M of RAM usually when just
     booted
 - 4 applications running
   - Each app uses 150-300MB of RAM (200 average)
 - 1120MB of RAM total used, 608MB + some slack swapped

Get a gig of ram; but you'll get caught up with:

Mem:    970916k total,   954156k used,    16760k free,    11168k buffers
Swap:  4208944k total,   406500k used,  3802444k free,   262920k cached

950M used - 263 cache == 687 used

687M used + 407 swap  == 1094 total

On a side note the reason I have 4 gigs of swap is because somebody
screwed up with Edgy and I REALLY NEED TO FILE A BUG ON THIS NOW.

- --

    new problems waiting out there.
                                                 -- Eric Steven Raymond

    We will enslave their women, eat their children and rape their
    cattle!
                  -- Bosc, Evil alien overlord from the fifth dimension