Administration Menu

George Farris farrisg at shaw.ca
Sun Apr 30 17:46:55 BST 2006

On Sat, 2006-29-04 at 22:40 +0200, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> Le samedi 29 avril 2006 à 13:00 -0700, George Farris a écrit :

> > > There is no Applications, System Tools submenu on the standard
> > > installation, that's a part of the simplication done for dapper
> >
> > Is there really a point in changing this?  People get used to seeing
> > this menu, it is easy to navigate and I find little point in changing
> > it.  As you have said people without admin permissions don't see it so
> > whats the point.
>
> The changes are described by a specification documented during UBZ for
> dapper:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MenusRevisited
>
> "The separation between Applications > System Tools and the System menu
> must be removed. This will be achieved by removing the items in
> Applications > System Tools
>
>       * With above, items that are mostly system administration tasks
>         and/or use gksudo should be moved to System > Administration
>
>       * Items which affect only the current user are to be moved to
>         System > Preferences
>
>       * Anything else that is not going to be hidden/removed is moved to
>         Applications > Accessories
> "
>
> The impression we got is not that people get used to that menu but was
> rather considering confusing to have Applications, System Tools and a
> System menu too

Sorry it sounded like someone was proposing moving the Administration
menu.

I have a few questions after reading the spec I see things such as:

New login nested window [Done]
      * - remove entirely

  * Run as different user [Done, hidden]
      * - remove, not hide

I use both theses tools all the time for various things, where would
they be found if they are to be removed from the menu altogether? For
example editing a system file I usually use sudo vi but I tell my users
to use gedit in "run as different user", they seem to understand that
better.

I also use login in a nested window quite often, are these to be purged
from the system altogether, and won't be discoverable by a new user?

--
George Farris
farrisg at shaw.ca