advice needed: building two gnumeric binaries from same source

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Thu Apr 27 19:59:01 BST 2006

On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 06:11:38PM +0300, Jani Monoses wrote:
> libgoffice and libgoffice-gtk are API/ABI compatible obviously and are
> drop in replacements for each other. This is guaranteed by gnumeric
> upstream, and makes sense. Since they provide the same .so files the
> packages Conflict/Replace each other.
>
> We want to build gnumeric and gnumeric-gtk from the same source package
> too. One to depend on libgoffice the other on libgoffice-gtk.
> Now because these two conflict they cannot be installed as part of the
> same build chroot. So this is the workaround used which makes the
> packaging a bit controversial:
>
> Build depend on libgoffice-dev and this will bring in the libgoffice
> runtime lib as a dependency.
>
> But after the two packages are built and the shlibs calculated, replace
> libgoffice-1-2 with libgoffice-gtk-1-2 in the shlibs list of
> gnumeric-gtk so at runtime it correctly depends on the gtk lib.

If they are ABI compatible, then the shlibs files for both versions of
libgoffice should have dependencies which can be satisfied by either
package, e.g. libgoffice-1-2 | libgoffice-gtk-1-2.  It shouldn't matter
which one is used for the build.

As for resolving the dependencies at install time, it is likely that the
first alternative will be chosen, so it may be necessary to explicitly
depend on the desired library to provide a hint to the dependency resolver
as to which one it should choose.

--
 - mdz