Bug Voting

Stephan Hermann sh at sourcecode.de
Wed Apr 26 12:01:18 BST 2006

Hi List, Matt,

On Tuesday 25 April 2006 19:51, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 12:38:20PM -0500, Rocco Stanzione wrote:
> > If what we're really looking for is another way for important bugs
> > to get the visibility they need, I think this is a fantastic idea.
> > It would serve pretty much the same purpose as a voting system with
> > less work on Malone and without reinventing wheels etc.  If we
> > could sort bugs by # of subscriptions, and if we could get the word
> > out that you improve a bug's visibility by subscribing to it (and
> > if subscriptions could move appropriately when a bug is duped), we
> > have a very useful improvement.
>
> I'd rather not encourage subscription as a means of voting, but as a
> means for an individual to help work on bugs which are important to
> them.  This may seem like an academic distinction, but I think it's
> important to differentiate between "please fix this bug" and "this
> bug affects me; how can I help?".  It's easy to envision
> subscription-spam by particularly excitable folks.

I really like the idea to have some sort of "show bugs with more
subscribers..." but I think it won't help to sort out old and fould
stinking bug reports.

Goal should be, to clean up Malone. Therefore, the bugtriager need to
focus not only on new bugs, but as well on bugs, which are hopefully
solved, but not closed in malone (old bugzilla imports).
A lot bugs are quite old and most of them solved, but not
closed/rejected.

Regards,

\sh