cupsys - enable browsing or not?

Ante Karamatić ivoks at ubuntu.com
Wed Apr 26 06:57:28 BST 2006

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 23:10:57 +0200
Martin Pitt <martin.pitt at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Browsing is still disabled by default, as our 'no open ports in the
> default install' policy requires. That's what I meant with 'Browsing
> still has to be enabled', maybe it was misunderstood.

As I see it now, and correct me if I'm wrong, BrowseAddress @LOCAL is
default option in cupsd.conf, and Browsing is off in
cups.d/browse.conf. If Browsing is set to on, at the first look, CUPS
shares it's printers and finds other shared printers.

But, in cups.d/ports.conf there is Listen localhost:631, and that line
makes it imposible to share your printer to others (by default). This
is ok with "no open ports" policy.

So, everything is fine. I, personaly, like the way configs look now.
Thanks, Martin! :)

But then gnome-cups-manager shouldn't tell the user that detecting LAN
printers is bad, since it isn't (it opens 631 UDP port). So, there
should be one more option in g-c-m, which enables sharing printer (this
option should replace Listen localhost:631 with Listen 631). That option
would be "risky" for security. If every opened UDP port is "risky" then
getting IP address over DHCP is risky too :)

--
Ante Karamatic | 0xD3BDA225 | 0x0A4A0161
ivoks at grad.hr | ivoks at ubuntu.com | ivoks.blogspot.com