Bug Voting

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 25 18:51:35 BST 2006

On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 12:38:20PM -0500, Rocco Stanzione wrote:
> If what we're really looking for is another way for important bugs to get the
> visibility they need, I think this is a fantastic idea.  It would serve
> pretty much the same purpose as a voting system with less work on Malone and
> without reinventing wheels etc.  If we could sort bugs by # of subscriptions,
> and if we could get the word out that you improve a bug's visibility by
> subscribing to it (and if subscriptions could move appropriately when a bug
> is duped), we have a very useful improvement.

I'd rather not encourage subscription as a means of voting, but as a means
for an individual to help work on bugs which are important to them.  This
may seem like an academic distinction, but I think it's important to
differentiate between "please fix this bug" and "this bug affects me; how
can I help?".  It's easy to envision subscription-spam by particularly
excitable folks.

The fact that subscriptions aren't propagated when a bug is marked as a
duplicate is itself a bug: https://launchpad.net/products/malone/+bug/29752

--
 - mdz