10k open Ubuntu bugs

Stephan Hermann sh at sourcecode.de
Tue Apr 25 05:22:03 BST 2006

On Monday 24 April 2006 22:14, Daniel Robitaille wrote:
> [...]
> > I know all these bugs now belong to Malone, but maybe we should find
> a way to create some sort of compartment system between the different
> types of bugs we get.  I can't imagine how the developers feel when
> they see these 10000 open bugs, and hundred of bugs assigned to them,
> are all lumped together in one big pile, main and universe together,
> ubuntu/kubuntu/xubuntu/etc together,  and they have to find the good
> reports from the one to be ingnored and try to see patterns in the
> problems submitted.    On the long run, I'm not sure the current
> system is a sustainable one as we pick up more and more users, and
> thus gather more and more reports.  First thing we know we will have
> the same number of bugs reports in Malone than the Debian BTS since
> we cover a very similar range of applications and packages, but with
> a lot less of the manpower to deal with the reports.

That's why the idea of an all purpose centralized bug tracker was born.
If there is a bug which belongs most propably upstream, you can link it
upstream, so the devs can have a look into upstream bts, or even other
distros bts' for that specified bug.

Reducing bug reports is not a good idea, a better idea is to have bug
reports e.g. from main packages are getting a higher priority over time
automatically.

regards,

\sh