Reducing the amount of NEEDINFO bugs

Dennis Kaarsemaker dennis at kaarsemaker.net
Mon Apr 24 18:39:40 BST 2006

Hello all,

Recently Henrik Nilsen Omma asked me for help with making it easier for
users to provide debug information for X related bugs. The result was a
small addition to my pastebin script that posts relevant information to
paste.ubuntu-nl.org.

Then I got a few requests for supporting other types of information too
and I decided to write a new tool that posts that information directly
on launchpad. Works like a charm and I'm almost ready to send it to Matt
for inclusion in Ubuntu (he expressed his interest in it during one of
the last development status meetings), I want to know from people what
they consider useful 'recipes' for bug information. Currently I have the
following. Additions are very welcome.

X:
  /etc/X11/xorg.conf'
  /var/log/Xorg.0.log
  /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old
  lspci
  sudo ddcprobe

Disk/boot:
  /etc/fstab
  /boot/grub/menu.lst
  mount
  sudo fdisk -l

Kernel:
  dmesg
  uname -a
  lspci -vv
  lspci -vvn

Network:
  /etc/network/interfaces
  /etc/iftab
  ifconfig -a
  iwconfig
  lspci
  sudo iwlist scan

Sound
  /proc/asound/cards
  /proc/asound/modules
  /proc/asound/oss/sndstat
  cut -c1 /proc/asound/modules | xargs -n1 amixer -c
  lspci -v
  lspci -nv

ACPI:
  sudo dmidecode