Default development language: AE <-> BE

Scott James Remnant scott at ubuntu.com
Mon Apr 24 14:04:23 BST 2006

On Sun, 2006-04-23 at 21:58 +0200, Sebastian Heinlein wrote:

> Which language should be used in documentation and UI: American English
> or British English?

Both should be written in whatever language the author themselves
speaks, and then translated into other languages.

Software (UI, etc.) would be translated into American English by
shipping en_US translations and British English by shipping en_GB
translations -- if the author speaks one of these natively, the
translation may be empty.

Likewise Documentation may be translated, and the Documentation Team may
ship one of the translations as the default (I believe they prefer
Merkin spellings and grammar).

Nothing else is tenable; for example I don't speak American English and
simply am not aware of all of the differences in grammar and spelling
that I'd have to know to write anything in that language.  Therefore all
software, etc. I write is written in British English, and where it
differs, I'd expect a translation team to augment it with an en_US file.

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant
scott at ubuntu.com