SMFication Project registered + proposal

Erast Benson erast at gnusolaris.org
Fri Apr 21 19:50:29 BST 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 11:33 -0700, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 10:44:03AM -0600, Jacob Rideout wrote:
> > I don't think we should diverge that much from debian. If you get
> > debian to adopt smf then ubuntu won't even need to do porting.
>
> My understanding is that SMF isn't mutually exclusive with the existing init
> scripts, and the necessary bits could simply be added to the packages to
> SMF-enable them.

Correct. That is how Debian services handled in NexentaOS today. They
are considered as "legacy" and goes through SYSV run paths. i.e. no need
to rewrite scripts.

At the same time if package supports SMF manifest, it will be beneficial
for SMF-enabled OS.

As an example, we've  SMF'd GDM service. For the long term, we might
need debhelper's integration.

--
Erast