Beta BCM43xx Wireless Wrinkles...

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Fri Apr 21 10:26:26 BST 2006

On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 06:49:48PM -0500, Ben Woosley wrote:
> As of today, thanks to the Beta, for the first time since using Ubuntu,
> I'm able to access the web through my bcm4306 wireless card.  I've also
> seen some promising media improvements.  You can imagine my happiness.
>
> However to do so I had to jump through a few hoops. Specifically, my
> card was detected at install-time but wasn't usable post-install.  I had
> to do the following:
>
> * Installing network-manager and network-manager-gnome from the repos

This isn't strictly necessary to get your card to work, though it is a very
simple way to get it activated if it wasn't available during the
installation (which it wouldn't have been without firmware).

> * Installing bcm43xx-firmware_1.0-0ubuntu5_all.deb from
> http://ubuntu.cafuego.net/dists/dapper-cafuego/bcm43xx/

We've asked Broadcom for permission to include this firmware in Ubuntu and
they have not responded.  Sorry, but there's nothing we can do.  Given this
permission, it would be absolutely trivial to make this work out of the box.

> * Runnng `gtk-update-icon-cache` as discussed here:
> https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/37128
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2006-April/017061.html
> http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=155411

A known bug.