Battery icon defaults

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Thu Apr 20 00:33:23 BST 2006

Hi Andrew!

(No need to CC: me, I read the list)

On Wed, 2006-04-19 at 19:27 -0400, Andrew Conkling wrote:
> On 4/19/06, Matthew East <mdke at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > Another (minor) problem is that the battery icon appears in the
> > notification area, and I think that this doesn't really fit the
> > description of being a "notification".
>
> Well, it does (at least to me) when it's set only to show while on
> battery power or charging.  At the end of the day, I'll agree with
> you, but I think this is a small point.

You're right, it's a small point. You're also right that the behaviour
of the icon as it is currently is a notification, but a battery icon
shouldn't be there one minute, gone the next. It should be always there.
It's crazy logic to have to figure out that your laptop is plugged in by
the absence of an icon ;)

> > The gnome applet (last time I looked, both appear by default) is a lot
> > better, it gives an accurate representation of how much battery is left,
> > and the colours are more reasonable. It also has the (splendid) option
> > of displaying the percentage alongside the icon. To cap it all off, it's
> > not in the notification area. So, all in all, lots better.
>
> I tend to agree here, though the applet (with the battery display, at
> least) takes up a lot more room on the panel.

Not on my panel: it's pretty small. Anyway, we have loads of panel real
estate ;)

> Also, I think I heard it mentioned that it would be a problem on
> desktops, since the notification would be off, whereas the applet is
> always on.  I can't confirm this, since I have a laptop to test this
> on, but perhaps we could work around it?

For desktops, the applet would not be there. I think this is already the
current practice.

Thanks for your feedback!

Matt
mdke at ubuntu.com