ubuntu-desktop & brltty

Scott James Remnant scott at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 18 07:14:46 BST 2006

On Mon, 2006-04-17 at 19:38 -0400, Patrick McFarland wrote:

> On Monday 17 April 2006 19:25, Peter Whittaker wrote:
> > Something very true, but he's probably going to get flamed for it anyhow.
>
> Needless to say, I totally agree. I'm not bitching that HP printer stuff is
> installed, I'm just bitching it wastes precious memory. It takes upwards of
> around 12 megs of memory. and for low memory platforms (ie, 256 and under),
> thats a big kick in the pants.
>
> The HP daemon should automatically turn on and off when, say, HAL says a HP
> printer is connected... or even just if an application is using the printer.

This is the plan eventually; right now it's reasonably hard to do that
kind of thing, so it runs all the time.  It's better that way for the
majority of users, as needing to go through any steps just to get a
printer to work is not really great.

I'm hoping to work on this kind of thing in dapper+1 and dapper+2.

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant
scott at ubuntu.com