ubuntu-desktop & brltty

Peter Whittaker pwwnow at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 00:25:01 BST 2006

On Mon, 2006-17-04 at 15:42 +0200, Matthias Klose wrote:

> edit /etc/default/hplip to disable hplip.

I didn't see a :->, so I assume this wasn't tongue in cheek...

...which confuses me, 'cause I just don't get it. I mean, as happy and
comfortable as I am with a CLI, CLI is not for everyone. And editing
config files is a CLI alternative, pure and simply (don't matter if you
use a fancy newfangled GUI editor, editing config files is CLO).

Since Ubuntu in general aims to be "for human beings" and since Dapper
specifically aims to "just work", editing config files to fix errors or
limitations in the distro IS JUST PLAIN WRONG!

Yes, I know what writing in caps means, I just couldn't keep it in any
longer, I just couldn't find a way to make a joke of it or say it any
other way.

"AARGGH" also comes to mind.

If it is a problem then it should be fixed. Not left to users to try and
resolve by mucking about blindly with config files they don't even want
to know exist.

Do the right thing. If there are two "right things", ship a really easy
way to toggle the behavior. If there are three right things and you
cannot design a clean way to choose between them, decide between
shipping the best right thing and shipping nothing. Generally, I tend to
prefer the latter.

Users who like choosing between and setting complex options install
Gentoo.

1/2 :->

pww